What are Independent Schools?
An independent school is a private school which offers off-campus enrollment to families whose children study at home. The school provides a legal option for meeting the mandatory school attendance requirements in Colorado.
The legality of enrolling in a private school has been based in Colorado case law, dating from the Bohls decision in 1988.
What is the CHEC Independent School?
Christian Home Educators of Colorado is a statewide ministry which maintains a fulltime office in the Denver Metro area. CHEC is a 20+-year-old homeschool support ministry, and is operated by an active board, an executive director, and a paid office staff. The CHEC Independent School is a service CHEC offers homeschooling families in Colorado.
What are the benefits of enrolling with an Independent School?
- We have a Christian worldview
- We are homeschool friendly
- We are a legal alternative to filing a Notice of Intent with a public school system
- Our experienced staff of homeschooling veterans is a year 'round resource to answer questions and provide encouragement and support for your home school
- We accept enrollment all year
- We have the resources to help get your home school started and organized
- We can help you plan for high school and graduation
- We can help you choose curriculum, but parents decide what they want to use in their home school
- We require minimal oversight of and paperwork from your homeschooling program
- Our rates are reasonable and cover an entire family, not just an individual student
- We offer to keep your test results only (no enrollment in the school required) for a one-time fee
- We are here so that you do not have to home school all on your own, but can have peace of mind and be excited about the adventure of home schooling
What are the services provided by CHEC Independent School?
What is the process for enrolling with CHEC Independent School?
Step 1 – Click here to access the application form http://chec.org/chec-programs-2/chec-independent-school/enrollment-forms/. You may fill this form out on your computer screen, print and sign it. You will also need to include a 2010/2011 curriculum plan/planned hours along (as part of the application at the link above) and current immunization records. Then mail this complete package with the appropriate payment to: CHEC Independent School, 10461 S. Parker Rd., Parker, CO 80134. If you were enrolled with the CHEC Independent School for 2009/2010, you may not submit a new application for 2010/2011 until you have turned in all required paperwork for 2009/2010: (Curriculum plan/planned hours, test records if applicable, attendance hours). At any point, feel free to call our office at 720-842-4852 or toll free 877-842- CHEC. If you would like to visit the school office, please call to make an appointment. We are located at 10461 S. Parker Road in Parker.
Step 2 – CHEC will review your application and, if accepted, will send you an acceptance letter by email. We will only mail acceptance letters if you don't have access to email. (If not accepted, your payment will be refunded). If you plan to transfer your student from a conventional school into homeschooling under the independent school, you will need to submit a notice of withdrawal form letter to your school district, announcing your intentions (Form provided ONLY upon request after accepted).
Step 3 – Once you have been accepted, you will want to access the attendance hours form from our web site. You can either print it and fill it in during the year, or you can download the form to your own Excel program and keep running attendance all year long. At the end of the year, you will need to submit hours for the 2010/2011 school year.
Step 4 - All new homeschoolers are encouraged to attend a comprehensive six-hour introductory seminar. You may register for this event by calling 720-842-4852. These are sponsored by CHEC, and are available at least once per month through-out the state of Colorado.
Step 5 – Organize your plans for the year and purchase curriculum.
Step 6 – Start your homeschool. Maintain the necessary records according to instructions in the acceptance letter.
Note: The CHEC Independent School has a no refund policy.
What if I only want to file test scores?
The CHEC Independent School is able to hold test scores for those families who have filed a notice of intent and are looking for a place to file the tests. For a one-time fee of $25.00 we will create a file for your family and add test scores as you submit them to us. Please print and mail the Request to Hold Test Scores, copy of test scores and payment to: